What is the typical Ativan dosage
LorazepamDrug groupsBenzodiazepine Lorazepam is an active ingredient from the group of benzodiazepines with anti-anxiety, calming and sleep-promoting effects. It is used for anxiety and tension states of various causes and for sleep disorders. Lorazepam can be abused, can be addictive and, if stopped abruptly, leads to withdrawal symptoms. Possible adverse effects include sedation, drowsiness, confusion, drowsiness, mental disorders, and behavioral disorders.
Lorazepam is available in the form of tablets, orodispersible tablets and as a solution for injection. In addition to the original Temesta®, generics and a combination preparation with the sedating antihistamine diphenhydramine are also available (Somnium®). Lorazepam has been approved in Switzerland since 1973.Structure and properties
Lorazepam (C.15H10Cl2N2O2, Mr = 321.2 g / mol) is a white to almost white, crystalline powder that is practically insoluble in water. It is present in drugs as a racemate.
Lorazepam (ATC N05BA06) has anti-anxiety, calming, anticonvulsant and sleep-promoting properties. It crosses the blood-brain barrier and binds to the GABA in the brainA.-Receptor. It thereby strengthens the effect of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA in the central nervous system.
Mechanism of action of the benzodiazepines, click to enlarge. Illustration © PharmaWikiIndications
Lorazepam is approved for the symptomatic treatment of anxiety, tension and agitation states of various causes and is also used for the short-term treatment of sleep disorders. Another indication is to calm down before and during surgical or diagnostic interventions. Further possible uses are discussed in the literature.abuse
Lorazepam, like all benzodiazepines, can be misused for various purposes due to its anti-anxiety, disinhibiting and depressant effects.dosage
According to the medicinal product information. The duration of treatment should be kept as short as possible. Since withdrawal symptoms can occur on discontinuation, the dose must be reduced gradually.Contraindications
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Centrally depressant drugs and substances can increase the effects and undesirable effects of lorazepam. These include alcohol, psychotropic drugs, neuroleptics, sleeping pills, anxiolytics, sedatives, antidepressants, anti-epileptics, narcotics, anesthetics, antihistamines, and other benzodiazepines. Further interactions are possible with clozapine, valproate, probenecid, theophylline and scopolamine.unwanted effects
The most common possible adverse effects include sedation, fatigue, drowsiness, muscle weakness, weakness, gait disturbance, confusion, depression, and drowsiness.
Other adverse effects include sexual disorders, indigestion, allergic reactions, central disorders such as tremors, dizziness, visual disturbances, speech disorders and amnesia, hypotension, respiratory depression, as well as psychological and behavioral disorders such as hostility, anger, excitability, aggressiveness, delusions, mania, nightmares, hallucinations, Psychosis, wrongdoing.
Lorazepam can be addictive. Abrupt discontinuation can lead to withdrawal symptoms after prolonged therapy.see also
- Ameer B., Greenblatt D.J. Lorazepam: a review of its clinical pharmacological properties and therapeutic uses. Drugs, 1981, 21 (3), 162-200 Pubmed
- Medicinal product information (CH)
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Greenblatt D.J. Clinical pharmacokinetics of oxazepam and lorazepam. Clin Pharmacokinet, 1981, 6 (2), 89-105 Pubmed
- Greenblatt D.J., Shader R.I. Prazepam and Lorazepam, two new benzodiazepines. NEJM, 1978, 299 (24), 1342-4 Pubmed
- Giersch A., Boucart M., Elliott M., Vidailhet P. Atypical behavioral effects of lorazepam: clues to the design of novel therapies? Pharmacol Ther, 2010, 126 (1), 94-108 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on March 24th, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Will the Lakers get back on their feet next season?
- What is your strangest dream
- What is a coronary infarction
- Can you play Temple Run in space?
- Have you flown with Turkmenistan Airlines before?
- How can I lower my natural hairline
- Would you forgive your partners for treason?
- Which is better Shanghai Dubai or Moscow
- How do I get an agency
- How can I make this day count
- What does deregistering your signature mean
- Narcissists are emotional cowards
- Why doesn't Richard Muller join NASA
- What is polycotton fabric
- How do I manage cold chain logistics
- What should everyone know about films
- Are truffle an endangered species
- What is 4m radius circle area
- What is a B2B website
- How did you keep someone's memory alive
- How long have you got your cell phone
- What's the Best Bakery Franchise
- What is the most successful Marvel movie
- How can you treat whooping cough