What are some environmental causes of depression
Psychiatry, Psychosomatics & Psychotherapy
Development and personality factors (psychosocial factors)
Another factor that can contribute to the development of depression is due to misguided development in childhood. An anxious and caring parenting style, the resulting “learned helplessness” and poor ability of those affected to cope with stress can be risk factors for the development of depression. These factors can be causes, but also consequences of the disease. Overprotective treatment can be explained by the fact that parents perceive the child's psychological vulnerability and susceptibility to illness at an early stage and react accordingly in a protective manner.
The early loss of a parent, a disturbance in the mother-child relationship or a lack of self-esteem since early childhood can also lead to a particular vulnerability to disappointment. Insufficiently processed experiences of loss or trauma (e.g. sexual abuse, experience of disasters) can promote the outbreak of depression in renewed crisis situations (e.g. separation from the partner).
People of the so-called "melancholic type" are also particularly at risk of developing depression. This includes people whose personality is characterized by self-insecurity, over-correctness, orderliness, emphasis on performance and willingness to make sacrifices.
In many cases of depression, the illness occurs after critical, stressful or negative events, e.g. the loss of a partner or relative or problems with close caregivers, divorce / separation, etc. or simply changes in the usual way of life such as retirement. It has been proven that stressful life events lead to neurobiological reactions such as increased release of the stress hormone cortisol, which is also found in high concentrations in the blood in depression.
Physical illnesses (e.g. chronic pain, cancer, cardiovascular and dementia diseases) and certain medications can also play a role in triggering depression.
Other possible risk factors
After examining various depressed patients, the following factors, in addition to the mechanisms listed, seem to favor the development of depression:
- female gender;
- Being single;
- City dwellers;
- few social contacts;
- low level of education;
- Cannabis use and alcohol abuse.
- What is simple schizophrenia 1
- How do I get active?
- How do you choose an activation function
- How did Willie Nelson's son Billy die
- Is this considered plagiarism
- How are cakes baked in bakeries
- Why are fighter pilots cockey
- What is meant by a luxury villa
- Can encrypted data be restored?
- Heads the UNRWA refugee camps
- Which product is best for the skin 1
- How is technology disrupting your industry
- What is the Australian national myth about
- Depression can cause hypothyroidism
- How are skin serums used
- All women don't like little men
- How can I become a horticultural scientist
- What do NASDAQ and DOW mean
- Which activities show self-administration
- How is CS doing at IIT Guwahati
- Does epilepsy affect intelligence
- How do I create value for others
- Who played 3 professional sports
- Good books for environmental technology