Does the grammar differ in the individual countries?
Grammar: The correct designation of countries: after or in?
Perhaps you have also asked yourself the correct way of saying: “She is going to Iraq” or “She is going to Iraq”, she is “in Iraq” or “in Iraq”? You read something different in the newspaper every day, and you always hear something different on the news.
|It says correctly: ||But also:|
|We're going to Iraq.||We're going to Iraq.|
|We are in Iraq.||We are in Iraq.|
“Iraq” can have a fixed article, ie “Iraq”. And the rule is that geographical names that have a fixed article are used with the direction
stated “in”, ie “in Iraq”.
- You are going to Switzerland.
- You are going to Turkey.
- You are going to Slovakia.
But: “Iraq” can also be used without a fixed article. The rule is: In front of geographical names that do not have a fixed article, the direction is “to”, ie “to Iraq”.
- You're going to Portugal.
- You're going to France.
The Office-Korrespondenz-aktuell tip: Since both are possible, I follow my sense of language and prefer: She goes to Iraq. She is in Iraq.
So that you can round off your knowledge of the country names, here is a supplement:
For islands, "on" is used, for countries "in":
However, if the islands are also countries, both are possible: on / in Iceland.
You can find more tips on the topic of 'grammar: country names' in Office Korrespondenz aktuell
- What is the format for Dockerfile
- What is mild schizophrenia
- What is filter in jQuery
- Where did inventions come from?
- Where is Suvarnabhumi International Airport located
- Why should I choose a solar system
- What is a travel hack
- How can I meditate Is it difficult
- What is the future of toxicology
- Is it illegal for preparators
- What is the facial expression of God
- Java is required for Hadoop-related jobs
- Are smoothies good for constipation
- What are industrial uses of LED
- How does the general insurance from kotak work
- What made Fitbit attractive to Google
- Which electronic parts are susceptible to ESD
- What are the predators of chipmunks
- Why is it called gas to liquid
- Are democratic progressives against Israel
- In what situations can the LPG bottle explode?
- Why is Charles Bukowski so popular
- Too much reading can decrease your memory
- How do you bleach your hair white