What is the name of a female hippopotamus
The animals can dive very well (often stay under water for 5 minutes), in the water most of the body is below the surface, sometimes you can only see the eyes, ears and nostrils. They don't swim very well, but they can also go into deep water. At normal water depth, they stand and walk on the bottom of the water. If they can no longer get their nostrils to the surface while walking, they can do this by standing on their back legs. In even deeper water, they push themselves off the ground and, so to speak, jump to the surface of the water, take in air and then sink back down again. Hippos can probably swim in sea water.
In the water they are often accompanied by "fringed lips", which are small carp fish.
Hippos eat grass and other plants, including fallen fruit. They can eat up to 40 kg of plants in one night. They eat the bank vegetation (plants on the bank) and fertilize the water with their excrement (manure).
When a hippopotamus gives off feces in the water, it looks funny because it stirs the water with its short (35-40 cm) tail like a whisk.
Hippos have a cub every two years and the gestation period lasts approximately 240 days. The calf is suckled for a year.
Hippos live in small herds (groups) of around 15 animals, led by an adult bull hippo.
c 2001; Text and images may only be used by children for educational purposes; any business (commercial) use is not permitted.
Texts and images of the "Kinder-Tierlexikon" are only allowed to be used by children for learning and educational purposes. No commercial use is allowed.
No part of the "Tierlexikon" may be reproduced.
Last update of this page: August 20, 2015
The children's animal lexicon www.kinder-tierlexikon.de has been since March 2001 times visited.
Page of Dr. Vollrath Wiese, House of Nature - Cismar / Neukirchen primary school
- How can I market my novella
- What is Steve Perry's most successful song
- Is relaxation good for your dog?
- Are Samsung smartphones better than Apple smartphones
- Are all Harvard and Stanford graduates successful
- How can an atheist appreciate Sufi music
- Cockatiels like to sing at night
- Can I freeze ripe avocados?
- Is drug store makeup safe to use
- What is Abspath in Python
- What is General Mills doing
- Where do cooks get their ideas from?
- Where do new Atlanta residents move from
- Are there SQL injection practice pages
- What is the job of Sophia Loren
- All get rich quick plans are illegal
- Can beryllium kill you
- Are Punya and Bhakti the same
- Which Indian mythological character inspires you
- What are medium carbons
- Is Durmstrang really in Scandinavia
- Running is considered a sin
- Removes Malwarebytes viruses
- Why do critics hate Interstellar
- Which internet plan is best in Pune
- What does wallah mean
- Provides Cybage accommodation for new apprentices
- How would you describe the longing for someone
- What qualities would a school teacher have?
- Which is the best poker app
- Suggest a website for Android tutorials
- How can I disassemble the extruder head