What is your favorite natural insect repellent
Ticks & mosquitoes: Stiftung Warentest: These are the best insect repellants
The spring time is also the beginning of the mosquito and tick season. The small animals are not only extremely annoying, they can also be very dangerous and cause diseases such as meningitis and, in certain countries, yellow fever or malaria in humans. An effective insect repellent, such as mosquito spray, is all the more important in order to control the monster.
Stiftung Warentest: Best insect repellent
The Stiftung Warentest has now tested 14 common remedies against mosquitoes and ticks. Eleven test persons were crawled and stung by over 5000 animals. It came out: Ten remedies are effective against common pests, two mosquito sprays only provide mediocre protection and two hardly at all.
Best cut Autan Protection with an overall grade of 1.7, followed by Anti hum tick stop and Rossmann Zeckito Classic (grade 1.8 each). The mosquito sprays mentioned repel mosquitoes for up to eight hours and ticks for up to six hours. Protection against mosquitoes and ticks is particularly poor, according to Stiftung Warentest Braeco tick repellent (Note: 5.5) and Zedan natural insect repellent (Rating 5.0). According to the testers, they are almost ineffective against vermin.
As part of the test, the test subjects rubbed their forearms with various mosquito sprays and sat in a room with mosquitoes and ticks (216 ticks each or around 60 mosquitoes per tested agent) for a certain period of time. So the first place fought Autan Protection on average 215 of the 216 ticks, the last one off Braeco tick repellent just 16.
Remove the tick as soon as possible. The shorter the tick sucks blood, the lower the risk of infection. The best way to remove the animals is to use tick tweezers or special tick cards in EC card format. In a pinch, you can also get rid of the animal with your fingernails.
Important: Simply pull the tick straight out of the skin without twisting. If the head or parts of it get stuck in the skin, expose it with a sterile needle or have it professionally removed by a doctor.
Check your body for ticks. When doing this, you should also examine their heads, especially those of children.
Watch the skin around the puncture site. The redness immediately after the bite usually disappears after a few days.
If the reddening reappears within six weeks or the irritated area becomes larger, you should definitely see a doctor. This also applies if you notice such a so-called wandering redness, but have not noticed a tick bite at all.
Look out for other symptoms. The spread of Borrelia can also be indicated by a flu-like feeling of illness, joint pain or oval red spots on the skin. Even then, go to the doctor and get tested for Borrelia antibodies in the blood. This test is the most reliable for reliably detecting Lyme disease.
Insect repellent: Expensive mosquito sprays are not necessarily better
It is noticeable that the mosquito and tick protection was rated almost equally high by Stiftung Warentest for almost all of the 14 brands tested. Only at Ream Quartet Anti Mosquito Skin Spray there was a clear difference between the "very good" tick protection (grade: 0.9) and the only "satisfactory" mosquito repellent (grade: 3.0). The test also shows: the quality does not depend on the price. This is how the cheap Rossmann copy looks Zeckito Classic (2 euros per 100 milliliters) just as good as the expensive one Anti hum tick stop (around 7 euros per 100 milliliters).
According to information from Stiftung Warentest, today's mosquito sprays are significantly more effective compared to the repellants from 2008 and 2014 and also offer longer and more reliable protection. But there is still a lot of room for improvement when it comes to the "health" checkpoint: none of the tested products scored better than "satisfactory". This is mainly due to the ingredients of the mosquito sprays: active ingredients such as diethyltoluamide (DEET), icaridin or paramentary diol (PMD) sometimes caused allergic reactions and irritation in the test subjects.
- Why do we have religions
- Are amoxicillin and flucloxacillin the same thing
- What is the Nimbus 2000 made of
- What is your opinion on Tyga Rapper
- How do I get interested in myself
- Some athletes were late bloomers
- What are the origins of Vichy France
- Surgical braces leave scars
- Is making money safe from social media
- Bronfenbrenner is a German family name
- How can we ask things from governments
- Rusts salt water in aluminum
- How do I improve my grades
- What is management and its functions
- How do I save stories on Facebook
- Where can I get good jobs in nursing
- What inspires loyalty
- What is 1 0 9 recurring
- Is the Christian God an evil being?
- What is the Sugoli Agreement
- Did Ygritte deserve to die?
- How much do shallots taste like onions
- Why should I buy an Nvidia shield
- Kenny Rogers died
- Can a felon get a disability?
- What are the best gamepads for pc
- What is considered a computer add-on
- What could be nicer than being grateful
- How is the depersonalization disorder cured
- Which tribe celebrates the most in Nigeria
- Why are most educated Indians not health conscious
- What are the types of DSLR
- Should I name my son Zebedaeus