Who is your favorite cloud provider
What is your favorite cloud computing provider? [closed]
Which cloud computing provider would you recommend for a Windows stack in terms of cost and reliability?
I've been using Amazon EC2 instances of Windows Server 2003 for the past few months and have been very impressed. Initially the tool was limited to a Firefox plugin to manage your servers, but now they have released a full web-based dashboard to control everything, and I have to say it's VERY nifty!
The Windows instances themselves ran just fine - I can't say I noticed any difference between remoting on my servers there and remoting on my physical server at Rackspace. You run websites on IIS, of course, and you can't tell the difference. The huge benefit is that I have all of the content stored on Elastic Block storage that I attach as an additional drive on the server (via the console), and it takes literally minutes to start up a new server!
The EC2 instance doesn't store any state so all I have to do is have a few scripts on the same Elastic Block storage that I can run to configure IIS and we'll have a load balanced server in no time!
I'm still being put through its paces, but if this solution continues to work as it is now, I'll be getting rid of my physically hosted solution soon!
I haven't tried any of the other cloud providers, but to be honest, I didn't have to. My research has looked at others, but I chose Amazon for features alone and I was not disappointed.
I hope it helps!
We used EC2 but not Windows. I started an instance of Windows to try it out and was surprised how well it worked (remote desktop). It takes a little longer to boot up, but it looks like Amazon did this well.
Everything outside of the OS is the same in terms of service and I am very happy with the API and the level of control. Elastic Block Storage solved a major problem with running databases.
One more thing to note ... When you run an EC2 Windows instance, you not only pay for the CPU time when you need it, but also for the Windows license. This is a significant cost saving in terms of light consumption.
- Who brought Christianity to Africa
- Which internet website completely scares you
- What does Jagaimo mean in Japanese
- Can you get umbrellas on an airplane
- Is macroeconomy positive or normative?
- Did Ygritte deserve to die?
- What is the importance of augmented reality
- How do we say humble in Dutch
- What does TRSA stand for
- Can binaural beats cause brain cancer
- Should I give up my job search
- Why doesn't Linux support the mp4 video format?
- How did you deal with tinnitus
- What causes Aviaere Influenza
- What are the requirements for Clemson University
- What does lethargy mean
- Why doesn't MIT have a medical school?
- Do I actually need a credit score
- Algae turn into mold
- Why do we have color
- Neurosurgeons have no free time
- What's so special about Ruby
- What is the point of political ads
- How do I create a Mac virus