Is the following sentence correct 2
The difference between "das" and "dass" - simply explained!
Content of this article:Show
In these cases "that" is used:
1. → "That" as an article:
"That" is an article, sometimes in elementary school too companion (from the noun) called because - as the name suggests - it accompanies a noun.Examples:
- The kitten purrs.
- The deer runs through the forest.
- The food tastes great.
- If I the picture see, I'm happy about the gift.
2. → "That" as a pronoun:
"Das" can also be a pronoun. This replaces a noun, i.e. a noun.
Explanation: First of all, the noun is in the main clause. This should be explained / described in more detail with the help of a subordinate clause. In the following subordinate clause, this noun is replaced by "das".
Example:TheKitten (noun), the (pronoun) purrs so loud, likes to hide under the bed.
In these cases "that" is used:
"That" is a conjunction, also called a connective or joining word. With a conjunction, words, parts of sentences or sentences are combined to form a sentence. "That" almost always introduces a subordinate clause. Consequently, there is a logical relationship between the individual elements of the sentence, i.e. between the main and subordinate clauses.
Be careful: "That" is often the first word after the comma, but not always. Sometimes it can also be at the beginning of a sentence.Examples:
- I knew for sure that I would get an "A" for work.
- That I didn't see my pants at the knee until I was ironing. (Here the "that" is at the beginning of the sentence.)
- I felt so bad that I preferred to go home from school.
Difference Between das and dass - the verification trick:
It is relatively easy to check whether it is a question of "that" or "that": Instead of "that", another word such as"which", "that", "this" or the noun itself is used, "das" is written with an "s".
Let's take the example above again:The kitten (noun), the (pronoun) purrs so loud, likes to hide under the bed. Verification:The kitten, which one purrs so loud, likes to hide under the bed.
Another example: ADeer that is frightened, quickly jumps back into the forest. (ADeer, which is frightened, quickly jumps back into the forest.)
If, on the other hand, not a single word can be used, the little word "that" is written with two "ss".
► Further learning tips are also available at www.lerntippsammlung.de.
This video also explains briefly and clearly the correct use of "that" and "that":
Difference between "das" and "that" - a little exercise:
Substitute "that" or "that":
The book is difficult.
I'm glad you brought me some chocolate.
Because I like to read, I buy myself a book.
I prefer to put on a dress that I bought myself.
I don't like that it's raining today.
The girl who fell from the monkey bars cried.
I noticed that I shouldn't touch the knife by the blade.
I was so brave that I ventured into the cellar in the dark.
My father had already explained to me beforehand that everything would not work out.
→ You can also download the task and solution here free of charge (PDF, 2 pages)
Summary - difference between "dass" and "das":
- Is "that" an article, the associated noun is usually close by.
- Is "that" is a pronoun, it refers to a noun and introduces a subordinate clause.
- In each case, a "that" refers to a noun and can be replaced by "this", "that" or "which".
- Since the "that" does not refer to a noun, but introduces a subordinate clause as a conjunction, it can be do not replace with any other word.
Note:Since the spelling reform, the "that" is no longer correct. The new spelling only allows the word "that" - without any exception.
Learn the difference between "that" and "that" interactively:
To get to the exercise that / das in the scoyo online learning game, enter "5" for grade level, select the subject German and search for "that, that" in the topic search.
In the online learning game by scoyo, the difference between that and that is explained with the help of a learning story:
This is followed by exercises to apply what you have learned and to deepen your new knowledge:
This article was created with the support of www.lerntippsammlung.de.
- How do I close my BSNL connections
- How is St. Stephens College of DU
- How can I improve my wit
- What should papers read about regression
- What job do you ever regret
- Why should Instagram disable an account
- What are some crash diets that work
- What are the benefits of kiwi juice
- Will people change before the crisis?
- How do I find a soccer agent
- What is the LREW missile
- What is affordable housing in the UK
- How do teams work in Civilization 5
- What part of the brain stores data
- Will oil prices go up in 2020?
- A doctor is a good job
- Who is the greatest LGBT activist
- Which countries accept EZ-Pass
- Why are we hiring Filipino virtual assistants
- Hoboken real estate
- What is x in 7 x 3
- How much can you win at blackjack
- Are there superpowers?
- What are some recommended restaurants in Makassar