Where is wallpaper made
The history of wallpaper: a historical look back
How long has wallpapers been around? Who invented wallpaper and how was the first of its kind made? How did the historical wallpaper over time changed and what story can it tell? In this post we reveal everything about the creation and development of our favorite wallcoverings.
1. The beginning of the wallpaper
The wallpaper can look back on a remarkable history, because wall decoration was always an issuethat people dealt with. Wall design played a role in all eras and cultures. This developed historically from cave painting to decorating with tapestries to wall covering with wallpaper as we know it today.
The History of wallpaper, whose name translated from Latin means blanket or carpet, began in the Orient. in the 11th century leather wallpaper, later also parchment wallpaper, was used there for the first time to decorate the walls. These slowly began to replace the large, heavy tapestries that monarchs and other nobles had previously used to decorate walls.
2. The first fabric & paper wallpapers
The first fabric wallpapers were used in Italy in the 14th century. Hand painted chinese paper wallpaper (Chinese wallpapers) found their way to Europe in the 16th century, where they were very popular. This success represents a milestone in the history of wallpaper, because it was then that France and England began to produce paper wallpapers themselves. The first copies were made by paper wallpaper makers painstakingly handcrafted, as neither paper production nor wallpaper printing were industrial yet.
Only the fabric printing process, which was successfully transferred from fabric to paper in the middle of the 18th century, paved the way for more or less serial production. In 1789 the first larger wallpaper printing company in Germany was founded in Kassel. Since the paper could not yet be produced in long strips, the even printing did not really work out yet. Wallpaper manufacturer Jean Zuber later succeeded in evenly printing the paper webs with wooden models. Glued together, hand-scooped paper webs made it possible for the first time in the history of wallpaper to be wallpapered up to the ceiling. The designs became more and more impressive and sophisticated and reached their previous high point with panorama wallpapers.
3. Wallpaper production in full swing
Another milestone in the history of wallpaper is the invention of the first Fourdrinier paper machine by Nicholas-Louis Robert in 1799, as it enabled the mechanical and thus mass-produced paper production. Due to the constant further development of printing machines, mass production found its way into the history of wallpaper in the middle of the 19th century.
As the Wallpaper production became a branch of the colored paper industry, paper wallpaper as wallcovering finally became affordable for the general public. Nevertheless, it was still regarded as a luxury product until the post-war period and only caught on when that Economic miracle entered Germany. Until then, the majority of the German population had beautified their own four walls with a wide variety of colors.
4. The story of wallpaper does not end there
Today it is the wallpapers that create a feel-good atmosphere as wallcovering in a wide variety of designs, materials and combinations. Your history or the style of wall decoration of individual epochs is reflected today in the wide range. Whether Scandi Chic, Art Nouveau patterns or 70s retro wallpaper, over time more and more diverse styles have been added. And of course the paper wallpaper has also been retained, which is one of the best-known types of wallpaper alongside non-woven wallpaper and vinyl wallpaper.
- What did you learn from PUBG
- Why is rum so popular in India
- Why is a hydration reaction important
- Which myths about Kenya disturb you
- How is the physical equation for speed determined
- Can biology be our future
- Which Android widgets do you use often?
- How do I master Calculus 3
- What job should a good speaker be looking for?
- What is the best season to visit
- What is the definition of human satisfaction
- Where were trilobites found
- China starts a new space race
- Web design training institutes in Hyderabad
- What is an ambivalent relationship
- Why do people go blind in love
- What is the cutoff for IITB CSE
- How loyal you are to a brand
- What is a tiger mother
- Where is bestiality legal
- How was a wedding you attended ruined
- Will be BTS on Lauv's album
- Where does the fear of death come from?
- The Dyson V10 is absolutely worth it