Pakistani people respect Gandhiji
India had been independent from the colonial power of Great Britain since 1947, and a new constitution made the country a republic in 1950. Jawahalal Nehru, former companion of Mahatma Gandhi, had been Prime Minister of India since 1947. He was a member of the Congress Party and remained in office until his death in 1964.
Since the independence of India and the division of the state into India and Pakistan, there has been a dispute over an area in the north: Kashmir. After 1948, the Second Indo-Pakistani War broke out in 1965. It ended in a truce.
Bangladesh is born
In 1971 the war broke out again when India supported an independence movement in what was then East Pakistan. This third Indo-Pakistani war ended with the victory of East Pakistan, which gained independence in the same year as Bangladesh.
Indira Gandhi was the daughter of Nehru. She married a man named Feroze Gandhi, who was not related to Mahatma Gandhi. Indira Gandhi became Prime Minister in 1966. When in 1975 irregularities in the 1971 election and Indira Gandhi's fault were found, she did not resign, but declared a state of emergency and continued to rule until 1977. But she lost the next election and with it the Congress Party for the first time. A left-wing coalition now provided the government.
Second term of office of Indira Gandhi
In 1980, however, she managed to return to the head of the state. In the Indian state of Punjab, extremist Sikhs called for independence. There were riots between Hindus and Sikhs. In 1982 the Sikhs holed up in their highest sanctuary, the Golden Temple of Amritsar. In June 1984, Indira Gandhi finally stormed the temple in Operation Blue Star. Around 2,000 Sikhs were killed in the process.
On October 31, 1984, Indira Gandhi was shot dead by her two Sikh bodyguards. After the attack, many Sikhs were murdered, and a large number fled Delhi to Punjab. Indira's son Rajiv Gandhi became the new prime minister until 1989 and in 1991, like his mother, he was assassinated.
More on the history of India.
- What are some steps to emotional freedom
- What makes sun protection with sun protection factor 110 superior?
- The Ranbaxy Laboratories still exist
- When does Udemy pay instructors
- How is life at NIFT
- How do chapati and puri differ?
- What is a trumpet like a musical instrument
- Why sea water is salty
- WBUT performs a tough test
- What are your favorite instrumental songs
- How to write a briefing paper
- What are SCDN Service Modes
- What are Hollywood movie stereotypes
- 0 is the smallest non-negative integer
- How many people used Facebook in 2019
- Pittsburgh Steelers v Cleveland Browns Live
- Are people naturally afraid of change
- Arduino is a PIC microcontroller
- Where is your faith
- What is the use of my data on an iPhone
- Why is Brodh V underestimated in India
- Where did Shakespeare live
- How do you raise emotionally strong children
- What is an input device