Premixed mortar must be sealed
How can you grout paving stones?
In order to give a paved surface a high level of stability, the paving stones have to be grouted. There are four materials to choose from.
Suitable materials for grouting paving stones
Paving stones can be grouted with sand, quartz powder, rock flour or grout. The materials have different prices and areas of application. First and foremost, the selection depends on the price as well as the advantages and disadvantages of the building materials.
Conventional sand is inexpensive and infiltratable. A lime or crushed sand is recommended, as this joint sand brings about a better solidification. The sand is processed when it is moist, as this allows it to seep in better. The disadvantage of this building material is that it is susceptible to wild herbs and insects. Furthermore, the supporting properties of sand are rather low. Therefore, traditional sand is mainly used for large rustic cobblestone areas.
Quartz sand also gives the paving stones little hold, but the joints can be kept smaller. Quartz sand seeps in better when grouting due to the grain size. This makes the surface more stable. The white look speaks for this building material as well as the ease of use. This jointing sand should be used when it is wet. When infested with herbs and when cleaning with a high-pressure cleaner, however, it has the same disadvantages as conventional sand.
Basalt flour is processed dry, as this joint sand clumps when it is damp. The price is more expensive than quartz sand, but the supporting effect is higher. Otherwise, this material has the same advantages and disadvantages as quartz sand. Visually, you get a dark joint pattern with the rock flour.
The most expensive, but also the highest quality method of grouting paving stones is grout. Here you should use a paving joint mortar based on synthetic resin. The mortar seals the surface so well that no wild herbs or insects can get through. However, the water can only trickle away moderately. When cleaning, however, the grout is not washed out. The processing is different depending on the manufacturer. In any case, it is more complex than the previous materials. In addition, expansion joints must be observed when laying the pavement.
Lay the paving stones correctly before grouting
As a rough guideline, one can say: if there is a loose bed made of gravel or sand, a loose joint material is used. With a rigid bed, such as a terrace, you resort to a grout. The joint spacing is three to four millimeters for standardized paving stones and five to eight millimeters for non-standardized natural stones. Grouting should always take place before shaking off, otherwise the stones can shift.
Select the correct grout and process it quickly
The processing must be carried out quickly, especially with grout, as otherwise a veil can appear on the stones. But the other building materials should also be processed quickly. Furthermore, after shaking it off, it has to be poured in at least a second time. The work steps must be repeated until the paved surface can no longer absorb any joint sand.
- Who drives in Los Angeles
- How can I meet a soul mate
- Which languages does Brightidea Webstorm support
- DHEA lowers the SHBG
- What is full and undivided attention
- Can someone threaten a sociopath?
- Which web browsers are Quora users using
- Is belly hair normal in women
- What is Rihanna's best single
- Quora secretly promotes an Islamic agenda
- How do I get active?
- Do dogs know their own gender
- What is tension enhancement
- What Could Cause Psychotic Depression?
- Why do I cough up chunky phlegm
- What does br mean in HTML
- What is the name of this work of art
- How to become an Ikea designer
- Are palm leaf plates easy to hold
- Do superheroes have or need money
- How are bicycle tires measured
- Donatello was a renaissance man
- How do I migrate to Iceland
- How do web browsers work
- How can you concentrate under stress?
- What is a shot blasting machine
- How do I hit my crush
- What makes sun protection with sun protection factor 110 superior?
- What is Roposo's business model
- What do MBBS textbooks cost
- Which companies visited IIITD für Elektronik Btech
- What is the function of the cingulated sulcus
- Is the cheat syndrome common among mathematicians
- Why are software contractors paid so well