What is BrightEdge
63 SEO statistics for 2021
We have compiled, checked and categorized the latest statistics in a list.
Click on a category or just start reading our top SEO statistics.
This blog post is part of an upcoming case study in which we strategically built a page and ran an outreach campaign to get links. Here is the result:
To find out more, subscribe to our YouTube channel. We will soon provide a 3-part series for this case study.
These are the most interesting SEO statistics you should know:
- 68% of online experiences start with a search engine. (BrightEdge)
- 0.78% of Google searchers click the results on the second page. (Backlinko)
- 53.3% of all website traffic is generated from organic search. (BrightEdge)
- 92.96% of global traffic is generated by Google Search, Google Images and Google Maps. (Sparktoro)
- Using SEO, 1000% + more traffic is generated than the organic reach in social media. (BrightEdge)
- 69.7% of searches contain four or more words. (Ahrefs)
- 60% of marketers say inbound (SEO, blog content, etc.) is their highest quality source of leads. (HubSpot)
- SEO leads have a 14.6% completion rate. (HubSpot)
These statistics about the Google ranking might surprise you.
- 90.63% of the websites do not receive any organic search traffic from Google. (Ahrefs)
- The top-ranked website receives the most search traffic only 49% of the time. (Ahrefs)
- Only 5.7% of websites will rank in the top 10 search results within a year of publication. (Ahrefs)
- 25.02% of the top-ranked websites have no meta description. (Ahrefs)
- 40.61% of websites have meta descriptions that are cut off. (Ahrefs)
- Google only shows meta descriptions in search results 37.22% of the time. For “fat-head keywords” (short tail) this proportion rises to 40.35% and for “long-tail keywords” it sinks to 34.38%. (Ahrefs)
- The average top ranking page also ranks among the top 10 search results for almost 1,000 other relevant keywords. (Ahrefs)
- The average website in the top 10 is over two years old. (Ahrefs)
Google states that backlinks are one of the three most important ranking factors. Check out these backlinks stats.
- 66.31% of the pages have no backlinks. (Ahrefs)
- Most top-ranked sites get follow backlinks from new sites at a rate of + 5% -14.5% per month. (Ahrefs)
- In general, the more backlinks a page has, the more organic traffic it gets from Google. (Ahrefs)
- The average cost to purchase a link is $ 361.44. (Ahrefs)
- The average cost to publish a paid guest post is $ 77.80. (Ahrefs)
- 73.6% of domains have reciprocal links, which means that some of the websites they link also link to them. (Ahrefs)
- 43.7% of the top-ranked websites have some reciprocal links. (Ahrefs)
Most SEO campaigns are preceded by keyword research. Here are some stats on how people search on Google.
- 92.42% of the keywords get ten monthly searches or less. (Ahrefs)
- 70.87% of keywords with more than 10,000 monthly searches consist of just one or two words. (Ahrefs)
- 13.53% of keywords with ten or fewer searches per month are made up of just one or two words. (Ahrefs)
- About 8% of search queries are formulated as questions. (Moz)
- 0.16% of the most popular keywords are responsible for 60.67% of all search queries. (Ahrefs)
SEO Industry Statistics
How much do SEO professionals charge for their services? Are you asking more or less than the average? Let's look at the statistics. .
- 74.71% of SEOs charge their customers a monthly fee. (Ahrefs)
- The most popular monthly fee price range is $ 501- $ 1,000 per month. (Ahrefs)
- With hourly billing, $ 100- $ 150 per hour is considered the most popular price range. (Ahrefs)
- For project-based billing, the most popular price range is $ 501- $ 1,000 per project. (Ahrefs)
- 88.28% of SEOs charge $ 150 / hour or less for their services. (Ahrefs)
- On average, SEOs with more than two years of professional experience charge 39.4% more per hour, 102.41% more for monthly fees and 275% more for one-off projects than those SEOs with less than two years of professional experience. (Ahrefs)
- On average, SEOs that serve the global market charge 130.74% more monthly fees than those SEOs that only serve the local market for monthly commissioning. (Ahrefs)
Search engine statistics
As an SEO, it is important to understand how search engines are doing right now and how they are developing.
- 12.29% of searches have featured snippets in their search results. (Ahrefs)
- The # 1 result in Google's organic search results has an average CTR of 31.7%. (Backlinko)
- An estimated 3.5 billion searches are made on Google every day. (Internet Live Stats)
- 39% of buyers can be influenced by a corresponding Google search. (Think With Google)
- 61.5% of desktop searches and 34.4% of mobile searches are no-click searches, i.e. they lead to no clicks. (Sparktoro)
If you're serving customers in your local area, focus on improving your local search exposure so more people can find you on the web. These statistics show the importance of good local SEO.
- 30% of all mobile searches are based on location. (Think With Google)
- 76% of people who use their smartphone to search for something nearby visit a store within a day. (Think With Google)
- 28% of searches looking for something nearby result in a purchase. (Think With Google)
- Yelp appears in the top five search results for 92% of Google web queries that include a city and business category. (FreshChalk)
- 54% of smartphone users search by business hours and 53% for directions to a local store. (Think With Google)
- Around 45% of buyers worldwide buy online and then pick up the goods in stores. (Think With Google)
- The mobile search queries “where to buy” + “near me” increased by over 200% from 2017-2019. (Think With Google)
- The mobile searches for “store near me open” (e.g. “grocery store near me”) increased by over 250% from 2017-2019. (Think With Google)
- The mobile searches for “for sale” + “near me” (e.g. “tires for sale near me”) increased by over 250% year-on-year from 2017-2019. (Think With Google)
We have already been able to inspire many customers to do video marketing. Are you already doing it? If not, these statistics will likely convince you.
- Videos are the most commonly used format in content strategy - overtaking blogs and infographics. (HubSpot)
- The number of comments, views, redirects and “likes” are strongly related to higher YouTube rankings. (Backlinko)
- 68.2% of the first page results on YouTube are HD videos. (Backlinko)
- The average length of a YouTube video on the first page is 14 minutes and 50 seconds. (Backlinko)
With more and more people moving to mobile search and Google moving to the mobile-first index, there is no doubt that mobile SEO has become incredibly important.
- 52.2% of all website traffic worldwide comes from smartphones. (Statista)
- More searches are made on the phone than on the desktop. (Think With Google)
- 51% of smartphone users came across a new company or product while searching on their smartphone. (Think With Google)
- On average, you get 27.7% of the clicks when you rank # 1 on mobile devices, while only 19.3% of the clicks get when you rank # 1 on the desktop. (SEOClarity)
Voice search statistics
"Hey Google, what is the current state of voice search technology?"
- 40.7% of all voice search responses come from a featured snippet. (Backlinko)
- The typical result of a voice search is only 29 words long. (Backlinko)
- Approximately 75% of voice search results are in the top 3 for this query. (Backlinko)
- The average reading level of a voice search result corresponds to the school level for 14 to 15 year olds. (Backlinko)
- Websites with strong "link authority" tend to rank well on voice searches. In fact, the average domain rating of a Google Home result is 76.8. (Backlinko)
- 48% of consumers use the voice for “general web searches”. (Search Engine Country)
Do you want to learn more about SEO? Read the SEO basics or watch this video:
Did I forget any cool or important SEO stats? Write to me on Twitter.
- What is polyaluminum chloride
- Which is better productivity or perfection
- How do I see the phone history
- Is sniffing the NSA phone unconstitutional?
- Which IIT has the best hostel
- Homeopathy cannot cure allergic rhinitis
- What percentage of the population lacks ambition
- How can my YouTube channel grow
- Why can't Congress work together?
- Is CloudApp the same as iCloud How
- Windows Vista will be updated to Windows 7
- What is crisis communication
- Society itself is a deterrent
- Masters degrees are prestigious in the EU
- What colors were popular in ancient Rome
- Should the authority be delegated or not
- Why is British Sea Power so underestimated
- How powerful are the Tunisian armed forces
- What is original
- How many users does 500px
- The country's police force is the rudest
- How can you become more versatile?
- What should I know about PCOS
- Will a subdomain influence our SEO?