How to recover from bacterial meningitis
Bacterial meningitis (acute)
The treatment is medicated. Antibiotics and possibly glucocorticoids are administered intravenously. If the pathogen is known, antibiotics can be targeted.
NoteIt is essential to start therapy quickly. Acute bacterial meningitis can lead to a life-threatening situation within a few hours. If bacteria spread through the blood, there is a risk of septic shock or sepsis (blood poisoning). Intensive medical treatment is essential in life-threatening situations.
Since meningococci are very contagious, the affected patients must be temporarily isolated. People who are suspected of having a meningococcal infection are immediately admitted to a hospital and, as a rule, isolated there for 24 hours after the initiation of therapy. If it is proven that meningococci or Haemophilus influenzae are responsible for the meningitis, so-called environmental chemoprophylaxis may be necessary. Antibiotics are given to people in close contact with those affected, e.g. family members, in kindergartens, schools and people who have had contact with the mucous membranes or saliva of the sick. Medical staff may also need to undergo treatment.
A bacterial meningitis or sepsis, e.g. caused by meningococci, pneumococci and Haemophilus influenzae, must be reported.
Meningitis (Borrelia meningitis) can also occur with another bacterial infection (Lyme borreliosis). However, this is not so dramatic. Information on the prevention, diagnosis and therapy of an infection with Borrelia can be found at
The occurrence and course of meningitis depend on many factors, including the health status of the person affected, any concomitant diseases, the pathogen, the start of therapy and the duration of the infection. Under certain circumstances, severe long-term damage can occur (e.g. neurological damage, deafness).
- Is matter a different form of energy
- Why does fish taste like the sea?
- Who are the best ecommerce mentors
- What is the end of White America
- What is the name of LiAlH4
- How can I have my articles checked?
- Should I join the New York Film Academy?
- How to write a chemical formula
- Halloween is celebrated in Peru
- How do I learn Salesforce technology
- Create more introverts on social media
- What does Ithaca look like
- Alsi Flaxseed is Ayurvedic product
- SSC accepts the NIOS result
- When did Reba McEntire make it big?
- Can wear out a timing belt
- How do I fix my oven
- Can I read Hindi newspaper for UPSC?
- Third Raikage against Hanzo who will win
- Is decaffeinated coffee safe to use while breastfeeding?
- Have you ever caught someone cheating?
- Harbhajan Singh was a police officer
- What is Sinitta's most successful song
- All behavior on Quora is social behavior