What do gymnasts wear under their jerseys
Aly Raisman on why leotards shouldn't be banned from gymnastics
Gymnast without jerseys? Aly Raisman says this is not the solution to problems that plague her sport.
“I was recently asked whether gymnasts should continue to wear leotards,” wrote the Olympic champion on Twitter. “Jerseys (are) not the problem. The problem is the many pedophiles out there (and) the adults who make them possible. "
"If it is said that clothing is part of the problem, then (they) are victims, insulting / implying that survivors should feel that it is their fault," she continued.
I was recently asked if gymnasts should continue to wear leotards. Jerseys aren't the problem. The problem is the many pedophiles out there and the adults who make them possible. By saying that clothing is part of the problem, you are shaming victims / implying that survivors should feel that it is their fault.
- Alexandra Raisman (@ Aly_Reisman) March 25, 2018
Raisman, 23, has opened up about her abuse at the hands of former Team USA doctor Larry Nassar, who was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison earlier this year for mistreating several young athletes under the guise of treatment.
Many other gymnasts, including McKayla Maroney, Simone Biles, and Gabby Douglas, have also said they were molested by Nassar, which led to a bigger conversation about how to prevent abuse among young athletes.
Aly Raisman on gym sex scandal: "This is bigger than Larry Nassar"
But if some people think getting rid of jerseys, the answer is Raisman - and clearly, a lot of their fans - disagree.
Some people on Twitter also pointed out that gymnasts wear jerseys for safety purposes, so that clothes don't get caught on equipment, for example, and coaches and judges are also better able to see the lines of the body.
Wearing leotards in gymnastics is important for safety and injury prevention; Tight-fitting clothing allows coaches to assess the alignment of the athletes' hips and spine with their necks and knees. Misalignment = catastrophic injury (e.g. ACL tear)
- to be a doctor. (@ tobemd99) March 25, 2018
Plus loose fitting clothing can get caught on the equipment. T-shirts that are not form-fitting are folded down in a flap towards the neck.
- LiLo (@cowbellfever) March 25, 2018
Still others argued that it couldn't hurt to look at uniforms that weren't as revealing.
"Obviously, tight shirts do not excuse sexual abuse," wrote a woman on Twitter. “That said, I've noticed that they've gotten very insightful. This could lead to potential sex offenders being introduced to exercise programs. It is not embarrassing to the victims to say that discussions about less revealing jerseys might be useful. "
In a follow-up post on Twitter, Raisman shared a link on her campaign to protect children from sexual abuse.
"For those of you who do not understand what sacrifice is shameful and why it is dangerous, I urge you to educate yourself," she wrote. "Adults can work together to prevent child sexual abuse."
Aly Raisman on why she loves her muscular arms
Apr 21,201701: 30 am
- Why is aloe poisonous to dogs
- I am an alcoholic. Can I be cured
- What is OmiseGO
- Eat often while driving
- What is the real name of Jethalal
- Seriously should I get a fake ID
- Let's call ophthalmologists
- Why does BTS sing
- How do I sell a subscription to Web Magazine
- Why doesn't Linux support the mp4 video format?
- What is life in a BPO
- Where can I buy buttermilk
- What can people do to change
- Who do you think is Rey's father
- How can wheatgrass cure hypothyroidism
- How can I be a better father
- How are new fonts designed
- Which particles make up light?
- What's so great about Little Women
- Why do cats like to bite cardboard
- Ingrown nails are common
- Why do people say jealousy is unhealthy?
- When cannot you control your stress?
- Can an autistic person be healthy