An underactive thyroid may cause a sore throat
Sore throat with inflammation of the thyroid gland
The signs of an inflammation of the thyroid gland can easily be mistaken for a harmless cold ...
Sore throats are not always the result of a harmless cold, they can also indicate an inflammation of the thyroid gland. A swollen and pressure-sensitive thyroid should be examined by a specialist, advises the Association of German Internists (BDI). Otherwise the hormonal balance of the body threatens to get mixed up.
Typical symptoms of acute thyroid inflammation are severe pain in the larynx, which can spread to the entire head or chest. “With an inflamed thyroid gland, the pain can often not be precisely localized. As a result, the symptoms are easily mistaken for inflammation of the lining of the throat, nose, ears or tonsils. Unlike a common cold, however, the symptoms do not subside after a few days and those affected feel seriously ill, "explains Dr. Ullrich Schindlbeck from the BDI.
Painful and painless form
However, not all thyroiditis is associated with pain. So-called Hashimoto's inflammation is painless. This autoimmune disease initially triggers an overactive and then an underactive thyroid, thereby damaging the hormone-producing thyroid cells - weight gain, constipation as well as dry skin and brittle hair can result. Giant cell thyroiditis, also known as de Quervain's thyroiditis, is painful, however. This form of inflammation also first leads to an overactive thyroid and causes weight loss, nervousness, hot flashes and palpitations and later turns into hypothyroidism.
For giant cell thyroiditis, the doctor will prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs, including cortisone in severe cases. Hashimoto's inflammation, on the other hand, cannot be treated with medication. “In any case, it is important to consult an endocrinologist or thyroid specialist if you suspect thyroid inflammation. He can then treat the consequences of the impaired hormone production before they cause serious damage, "recommends Dr. Schindlbeck.
- How big is the IT market
- Can you do a quick rap
- Where are the best museums in Hawaii
- Where do I get weed from in Banglore
- Who will help your life get better
- How does karaoke work
- What is an input device
- Which is the richest NFL team
- Is the Max kitten food trustworthy
- Who does Plimus use to detect fraud
- Craigslist What is a craigslist lead
- Which countries attract women to the military?
- When was the last moon landing
- Can encrypted data be restored?
- Why children are so jealous
- Why do some religious people study philosophy
- How important are emotions really
- What do you love about INFJs
- Can an air rifle shooter wear glasses?
- What is the first laptop ever made of
- Can be rated 200 in T20
- Which Beatles songs are sonnets
- What makes good illustration
- Why don't Samaritans accept converts?