How relevant is public health in Canada

Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office


Situations can change and develop quickly. We recommend you:
- Track news and weather reports
- Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance
- Subscribe to our newsletter or use our "Safe Travel" app
- Follow us on Twitter: AA_SicherReisen
- Register in our crisis prevention list


The spread of COVID-19 continues to lead to restrictions in international air and travel traffic and impairment of public life.

Before unnecessary, tourist trips to Canada will bedue to high numbers of infections warned.

Epidemiological situation

Canada is now severely affected by COVID-19 and is therefore classified as a risk area. The Canadian government provides current data. The Canadian Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization (WHO) provide information on the incidence of infection.


There is currently an entry ban for Canada. Exceptions to this are Canadian nationals and persons with permanent residence status as well as their immediate family members (spouses, life partners, parents and children), who, based on experience, have to prove the family relationship by means of meaningful documents when boarding a flight to Canada. The Canadian government provides information in an overview, among other things. whether and under what conditions entry for visiting purposes is possible for family members. People who enter the country for the purpose of employment or study with a valid work or study permit are also exempt from the entry ban. You can check here whether entry into Canada is possible in individual cases.

All travelers over five years of age, regardless of their nationality, must present a negative PCR test result to the airline concerned or, if arriving by land, the border official, which is no older than 72 hours before the planned departure (or if entering by land before the expected entry). Travelers who have a positive test result from which the sample was taken between 14 and 90 days prior to entry also meet the test requirements prior to entry.

All travelers must also undergo a PCR test when arriving at the respective international airport or when arriving by land at the border crossing. They then usually have to go to a hotel approved by the Canadian government for three days or until the test result is available. The remainder of the 14-day quarantine must be spent at the travel destination, even if the PCR test result is negative again. Towards the end of the quarantine, all travelers are required to perform a rapid self-test for COVID-19 provided by the Canadian government.

Failure to comply can result in fines and imprisonment. The Government of Canada has extensive information on travel restrictions, exceptions and notices of conduct.

Before entering the country, all entrants must register via the ArriveCAN app and provide precise contact information for their mandatory 14-day quarantine plan on or before entry. Use of the app is binding. Canadian authorities are monitoring compliance with quarantine regulations.

Transit and onward travel

Transit through Canada is possible to a limited extent if the regulations of the third or destination country permit entry there. Those passing through, including German citizens, need an electronic travel authorization (eTA), which they should apply for before booking a flight.

For international transit, the transit area must not be left during the transfer and, for example, a change of terminal at the same airport must not be necessary. The Canadian government has extensive information on transit.

All travelers aged five and over, regardless of their nationality, must provide the airline in question with a negative PCR test result when boarding the flight to Canada. The PCR test result required by the Ministry of Transport must not be more than 72 hours before the planned departure.

The common border between Canada and the USA has been largely closed since the end of March 2020. Only absolutely necessary border crossings are allowed, Canadian and US citizens should be able to travel home. The traffic relevant for important supply chains should also not be impaired.

Travel connections

International flights are only allowed to land at the following four airports: Toronto Pearson International, Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Vancouver International, Calgary International. Many European airlines only operate transatlantic flights to a significantly reduced extent. Airlines have been instructed not to carry passengers who have symptoms of COVID-19 (including Canadian nationals). As a result of measures to combat pandemics or due to insufficient flight utilization, changes and cancellations can also occur at short notice. The Canadian government has detailed information on all measures and restrictions on air travel.

Restrictions in the country

Many provinces, including Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia, have restrictions on the operation of public facilities, including cultural institutions, restaurants and shops.
The Canadian government strongly recommends social distancing and avoiding any unnecessary travel.

Depending on the occurrence of the infection, restrictions of varying degrees are imposed, including “stay-at-home orders”, which impose restrictions on the movement of citizens for all activities that are not absolutely necessary. The respective provincial governments inform about this.

Hygiene rules

Mouth and nose protection is mandatory at all airports. There is a recommendation for traveling on trains, buses and ferries. The personnel of all transport companies can exclude persons from the transport who do not wear adequate mouth and nose protection. The usual hygiene rules apply.

  • Make sure you comply with the AHA regulations and also follow the instructions from local authorities.
  • Note the detailed measures and additional information provided by the Canadian government.
  • Find out in good time before entry whether your travel plans fall under the permitted exceptions.
  • Stays in foreign countries can currently affect the possibility of entering other countries. Therefore, find out about the current regulations on entry, transit and quarantine in the respective travel countries via the travel and safety information before starting any trip.
  • When you return to Germany, note the valid entry restrictions such as registration, test and quarantine regulations, inquire about the current conditions of carriage at the relevant company or your tour operator, if necessary, and contact the health department of your place of residence or residence if you are entering from a risk area . Further information is available in our continuously updated info box on COVID-19 / Coronavirus.



General security measures have been tightened to protect against terrorist attacks. When entering Canada and on domestic Canadian flights, more time-consuming controls are to be expected.

Domestic situation

The situation in Canada is stable.

  • Find out about the local media.
  • Avoid demonstrations.


The crime rate is low. Small crimes such as pickpocketing occur in large cities and tourist centers. Theft of luggage from or in front of tourist hotels is not unknown.

  • Keep money, ID, driver's license, air tickets and other important documents safe and do not leave documents in parked cars.
  • Carry a copy of your passport with you separately from your passport.
  • Never leave your luggage unattended, even in or in front of the hotel.
  • Be particularly vigilant in large crowds such as at airports, train stations, in the subway, on the bus and watch out for your valuables.
  • Be skeptical of unfamiliar e-mails, profit notifications, offers and requests for help from alleged acquaintances. Do not share any data about yourself; if necessary, make sure yourself personally or contact the police on 911.

Nature and climate

Cold and blizzards, floods

There is a continental climate with cold, long winters and hot summers, and a maritime climate in the coastal provinces.

In the winter months, extreme cold and sometimes heavy snowstorms occur regularly.
After winter, snowmelt and heavy rain can lead to flooding, as in spring 2019, when the east and center of the country, and particularly the Ottawa River area, were affected.

Bush and forest fires

From June to September, especially in western Canada such as British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Manitoba, there are frequent bush and forest fires due to drought.
Heavy smoke development and visual impairments can also affect the infrastructure in tourist areas.

Tropical storms

In the hurricane season from May to November, isolated tropical storms can also reach the extreme northeast of Canada and lead to strong winds, heavy rain and, as a result, flooding. Impairments in travel and interruptions in the electricity and telecommunications networks cannot be ruled out.

Earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis

British Columbia and Yukon lie in a seismically active zone, which is why earthquakes and volcanic activity can occur, as well as tsunamis on the coasts of British Columbia.

Travel info

Infrastructure / traffic

Traffic routes may be impaired due to measures related to COVID-19 containment, see Current.

There is an extensive domestic flight network, rail and bus connections.

In Canada, in contrast to the United States, the metric system applies: distances are given in kilometers.
Speed ​​limits are lower than in Germany, on motorways a maximum of 100/110 km / h.
Deviations from the traffic rules in Germany include, for example, turning right at red, intersections with 4-way stop, right overtaking on motorways, no overtaking of school buses with hazard warning lights. You must also drive with dipped headlights during the day

The alcohol limit is 0.5 and 0.0 for novice drivers in the first two years or under 21 years of age. Driving a vehicle under the influence of cannabis is prohibited.
There are severe penalties for speed, alcohol and cannabis violations as well as for using the mobile phone without a hands-free system while driving.

Parking tickets should be paid, otherwise difficulties may arise when entering Canada again.

  • Find out about the traffic rules, there are also discrepancies between provinces and territories.
  • Comply with speed limits and pay possible parking tickets on the spot if possible.

Driving license

With the German driver's license, you can drive for tourist or visiting stays in Canada for up to three or six months, depending on the province.

  • If possible, carry your international driver's license with you.


Homosexuality is not a criminal offense in Canada, same-sex marriages are possible. LGBTIQ people and their rights are widely recognized in Canada by the population and by political institutions.

Legal specifics

Since October 2018, the purchase of small quantities of cannabis (marijuana / hashish) from state-approved sales outlets and the possession of small quantities of cannabis for personal use are no longer criminally prosecuted, subject to strict criteria. In some cases, different regulations apply in the various provinces and territories. Travelers should inform themselves in advance on Cannabis-In-Canada about the legal situation of their stay. Travelers should note in particular that any transport of cannabis across national borders is still not permitted.

Drinking alcohol in public is prohibited in Canada. Open alcoholic beverages must not be within reach of the driver in vehicles. Stricter regulations may apply during Canadian public holidays.

Money / credit cards

The local currency is the Canadian dollar (CAD). The acceptance of credit cards is very high; withdrawing cash with debit and credit cards is possible in many places at appropriately marked ATMs.

Entry and customs

Entry and transit regulations may currently differ due to measures to contain COVID-19, see Current.

Entry and import regulations for German citizens can change at short notice without the Foreign Office being informed beforehand. You can only obtain legally binding information and / or information that goes beyond this information on the entry and customs regulations for importing goods directly from the representatives of your destination country.
You can find the customs regulations for Germany on the website of the German customs and via the “Customs and Travel” app or you can inquire about them by telephone.

Travel documents

Entry is possible for German citizens with the following documents:

  • Passport: Yes
  • Temporary passport: Yes
  • Identity card: No
  • Provisional identity card: No
  • Children's passport: Yes

Comments / minimum remaining validity:
Travel documents must be valid for at least the duration of the stay.


German citizens do not need a visa to enter and stay for stays of up to six months for tourist or business purposes or for transit.

German nationals who want to travel to or through Canada by air must apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) prior to departure. This eTA is not required for entry by land or sea.

For longer stays and gainful employment, a visa must be applied for before entering the country.

For more information on Canadian entry requirements, please visit the Canadian government website.

Electronic travel authorization (eTA)

The electronic travel authorization must be applied for on the website of the Canadian government before the start of the flight for a fee of 7 CAD (approx. 5 euros). This is also possible through representatives of people with physical or mental disabilities. For more information and instructions, see the Government of Canada website.

  • Apply for the eTA as early as possible. In the event of rejection, long processing times are to be expected; further evidence is required at the discretion of the Canadian authorities.
  • Use only the official government website. Non-official websites offer the brokerage of the eTA, which is partly not recognized by the Canadian authorities, charging significantly excessive fees.

Immigration control

Even travelers in possession of an electronic travel authorization are not entitled to enter Canada. The final decision is made by the responsible Canadian border staff at the Immigration Service CBSA, who decide on entry based on a questionnaire. Travelers must convincingly demonstrate to officials that they have sufficient financial means for their intended stay, that they do not intend to take up work and that they will leave Canada after the visit. The Canadian authorities are particularly strict when it comes to the presumption of employment.

If entry is granted, the permissible length of stay is determined by the border official and noted on the entry stamp. Requests for extension should be submitted 30 days before the end of the permitted length of stay.

Work permit

In order to complete internships, start an au pair job or similar, even unpaid employment, it is necessary to obtain a work permit online via the website of the Canadian government or via the Canadian Embassy in Vienna. The only exceptions are within the framework of the German-Canadian youth mobility program “International Experience Canada”. Further information can also be found on the government website.

Dual state

Since November 2016, German citizens who also have Canadian citizenship can no longer enter Canada with their German passport (and eTA), but must be in possession of a Canadian passport.

Responsible foreign agency for visas

The Visa and Immigration Department of the Embassy of Canada in Berlin has been closed. The Canadian Embassy in Vienna / Austria is responsible for applicants from Germany. Applications under the German-Canadian Youth Mobility Agreement (International Experience Canada) can only be submitted online.


In the case of minors who travel to Canada alone, with only one parent or a third person, a questioning about the travel circumstances by the border guards must be expected. In this case, proof of custody and a written declaration of consent of the absent custodian with their details and contact details in English or French should be available.

Import regulations

Means of payment with an equivalent value of CAD 10,000 or more must be declared upon entry.

Please note the minimum age limit of 19 years (or 18 years in the province of Alberta) when importing alcoholic beverages. Canadian Customs provides the maximum amount of liquor, wine and beer that can be imported.

Bringing cannabis across Canada's land borders is not permitted.

The import of weapons must be declared upon entry. If the reason for import is permissible, a permit (so-called temporary registration permit) is issued for up to 60 days.

Food and plants must always be declared upon entry.

The import regulations change regularly, the current regulations are provided by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
If your questions are not answered there, you can obtain further customs information for Canada from the Canadian embassy in Vienna.


For information on traveling with pets, see the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website. The vaccination requirements differ depending on the pet species, for dogs and cats proof of a rabies vaccination is always required. The EU pet passport is accepted as proof of existing vaccination protection.



The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the disease COVID-19, which is triggered by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, a pandemic.


In January 2019, WHO declared delaying or skipping vaccinations as a threat to global health. In particular, the lack of vaccination against measles poses a high risk when the number of cases increases internationally.

  • As part of your travel preparations, check your and your children's vaccination protection against measles and have this supplemented if necessary.

Vaccination protection

No compulsory vaccinations are required to enter Canada.

  • Make sure that you and your children have the standard vaccinations according to the vaccination calendar of the Robert Koch Institute up to date.
  • A vaccination against hepatitis B is recommended as travel vaccination for stays in the northern parts of the country, and against rabies for long-term stays or special exposure.
  • The meningitis vaccination (vaccination against meningitis) is part of the standard vaccination program for children and adolescents in Canada; it is recommended as a travel vaccination for this group of people.
  • Please note the instructions for use and help for the indication in the travel vaccination recommendations leaflet.
  • The DTG offers up-to-date, detailed travel vaccination recommendations for specialist groups.

Medical supplies

Sanitary and hygienic conditions largely correspond to those in Germany. The health system in Canada is organized by the state. Doctor's appointments are very difficult to come by. If necessary, contact so-called "walk-in clinics" and in an emergency go directly to the emergency room of a hospital. However, treatments are expensive and, with the exception of initial measures for life-threatening illnesses, are often only carried out against prepayment or at least direct payment.

The tap water is safe to drink, but it contains a lot of chlorine, which affects the taste.

The supply of medicines in Canada is good. Prescription drugs can be obtained with a Canadian prescription. Durable German special drugs can be brought along in the required quantities and provided the prescription is presented.

  • Take out travel health and repatriation insurance for the duration of your stay abroad. The German Liaison Office for Health Insurance - Abroad provides detailed information.
  • Before you go on a trip, seek personal advice from a travel doctor and adjust your vaccination protection. Corresponding doctors can be found e.g. B. via the DTG.

In addition to the general disclaimer, please note:

  • All information is intended for the information of medically trained. They are not a substitute for the consultation of a doctor.
  • The recommendations are tailored to direct entry from Germany to a travel destination, especially for longer stays on site. For shorter trips, entries from third countries and trips to other areas of the country, deviations may apply.
  • All information is always dependent on the individual circumstances of the traveler and may require medical advice.
  • In spite of the best possible efforts, the medical information is always only an offer of advice. They cannot cover all medical aspects, eliminate all doubts or always be completely up-to-date. You stay responsible for your healthy.

Country information about your travel destination

Here you will find the addresses of the responsible diplomatic missions and information on politics and bilateral relations with Germany.


Further information for your trip

The global threat of terrorist attacks and kidnappings remains unchanged.

Since September 2014, the terrorist organizations "Al Qaeda" and "Islamic State" (IS) have been threatening with attacks against various countries and their nationals. There were a number of attacks with firearms, explosives, kidnappings and hostage-taking.

Even if there are currently no specific indications of a threat to German interests abroad, it cannot be ruled out that German nationals or German institutions abroad will also become targets of terrorist acts of violence.