What treatment soothes the paranasal cavities completely
Inflammation of the sinuses (sinusitis)
Doctors describe sinusitis as chronic if it occurs more than four times a year or if the symptoms persist for over three months. Chronic sinusitis can result from an acute sinus infection that is not completely healed. In addition, there are other possible causes that are due to anatomical changes or other diseases, for example:
- Nasal polyps
- crooked nasal septum
- sinus openings that are too narrow
- Allergies: The mucous membranes are irritated and inflamed over a long period of time
- Diseases such as cystic fibrosis or diseases of the immune system
As a rule, the maxillary sinuses are more often affected than the frontal sinuses in chronic sinus infections. If you have been struggling with sinus infection symptoms for longer and more often, it is better to see a doctor. He finds out what causes it.
Chronic sinusitis: diagnosis
The diagnosis of chronic sinusitis is not very easy because the symptoms are usually less pronounced than in the acute form. Doctors use the following measures to diagnose:
- Nasoscopy (rhinoscopy): Doctors can see whether the nasal mucous membranes are swollen and whether nasal secretions or pus have accumulated.
- Computed tomography (CT): The doctor sees the condition of the sinuses on the images and can uncover obstacles and constrictions.
- Allergy tests if the doctor suspects an allergy to be the cause (e.g. prick test - a skin test). Doctors can find out which triggers are causing the allergic symptoms.
- Tissue sample (biopsy) if a tumor is suspected.
Chronic Sinus Infection - Symptoms
With a chronic sinus infection, the symptoms are almost the same as with an acute sinus infection - but in a less pronounced form:
- Breathing through the nose is difficult.
- Thin secretion flows out of the nose.
- Affected people taste and smell worse.
- Patients feel tired, exhausted and less productive.
- Head feeling and pressure in the area of the affected sinus.
- Cough from the mucus that runs down the throat at night.
Cure a chronic sinus infection
Against the symptoms of chronic sinusitis, the same drugs help as with the acute variant: nasal spray, nasal drops, nasal douche or painkillers. Even if the word "chronic" means permanent - chronic sinusitis is curable.
If the cause of the sinus infection lies in a changed anatomy, an operation can help. Doctors remove the cause, for example a pathologically altered mucous membrane, nasal polyps or enlarged tonsils. Doctors can also correct a crooked nasal septum or widen the passages to the sinuses (ostia) so that sufficient air can get into the sinuses again.
If the cause is an allergy, doctors first treat it adequately. Therapy for chronic sinusitis then consists, for example, in avoiding the allergy trigger, taking antiallergic medication or (if possible) performing desensitization (specific immunotherapy).
Chronic Sinusitis - Medicine
For chronic sinus infections, there is also a medicine that relies on home remedies and other measures. As with acute sinusitis, they alleviate the symptoms and may prevent new outbreaks. Some tips:
- Drink enough, at least two liters a day. It is best to use water and herbal teas. The hydration moisturizes the mucous membranes and the mucus remains thinner.
- Helpful home remedies are nasal showers or nasal sprays with salt water.
- Increase the humidity in the room (hang up wet towels or place them on the heater).
- Strengthen your immune system in general: a healthy diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, lots of exercise (preferably in the fresh air), Kneipp treatments, or visits to the sauna (if you are healthy) get your immune system going.
The effectiveness of herbal remedies, acupuncture, infrared light or zinc preparations has not been scientifically proven for chronic sinus infections.
- Is Russia still very communist under Putin?
- Why have pro-conservative responses collapsed
- How realistic is Anaconda the movie
- What is the temperature in sydney
- Who is Gohan
- How to write a reflection analysis
- Will there be more Democratic Senators in 2018
- What are PG accommodations in Marathahalli
- Would computers ever reach an intelligence point?
- Has anyone tried Binadox
- How can you solve the cashmere problem?
- How can I build a stucco fence
- How is life at CEG
- Why should Instagram disable an account
- Why wasn't Zoids a more successful franchise
- What is the electronic configuration of F2
- Is there a Hindi literature blog
- Are iPhones hack-proof against viruses
- How can dreams be manipulated remotely
- What does the bit rate of a song mean
- What video game did you just beat
- How is the Produnova carried out
- Virginia would be safe if Yellowstone broke out
- Why do people abuse the word knowledgeable