What do predators eat in wetlands
Giant bugs eat turtles, ducklings and poisonous snakes
The newly hatched larvae, which remain in this stage of development for up to 60 days, must be just as daring as their parents. In most species, they hatch at a time when only a few small prey are available. Therefore, they have no choice but to hunt seemingly superior prey, such as tadpoles and small fish.
The larvae have long, curved front legs that help them grip their prey better, Ohba explains.
Nonetheless, giant bugs also have predators and often fall prey to larger fish, ducks and possibly raccoons and turtles, Swart adds. In Southeast Asia, they are also eaten fried or boiled in some places.
Big insect with a big impact
As scary as the idea of predatory giant bugs may sound to some, they are among the most important hunters of their ecosystem and thus play a key role in its preservation.
But water pollution can damage their populations, as can invasive species like crayfish and bullfrogs.
That means scientists should advocate clean waters free of neozoa in order to preserve this important species, as Ohba thinks.
"By protecting giant bugs, we can preserve entire ecosystems."
The article was originally published in English on NationalGeographic.com.
- What does an altimeter calculate
- How do I rake the lawn
- What is the origin of French
- Mentally awakened people have sex
- How are psychology and biology different?
- What are PG accommodations in Marathahalli
- Why are social security benefits taxable?
- Multiple sclerosis is contagious
- What are some steps to emotional freedom
- What is the FDIC limit for 2019
- Why are there Mammootty fans
- What are the latest innovations in IT
- Which courier company is your favorite
- Can you swim in alcohol
- Who will win the Premier League 3
- Sexual orientation can influence the representation of gender identity
- Why do we feel cold
- What was cloud computing called before?
- What decides about the exchange rate of the currency
- What are the functions of bearings
- Can you write a song about Quora?
- What does botox do to your body
- What is log file monitoring
- How toxic are H2SO4 vapors
- Why is Miami better than Atlanta
- Which devices capture the activities of the mind
- How do you get someone to leave
- What did you exaggerate?
- Why does Zoloft make you sleepy
- What are some famous mexican dancers
- Lightning can strike indoors
- How has time management changed your life
- Vermillion is a shade of whatever color
- What are some pernicious secret habits