Is honey good for a baby?
Can you give babies honey in their first year of life?
Again and again one hears recommendations to sweeten beverages for babies with honey or to coat the nipples with honey before breastfeeding. However, this must be strictly warned!
Unprocessed honey can contain certain bacteria (Clostridium botulinum) and spores that infect the infant's gastrointestinal tract and find ideal conditions for reproduction in the oxygen-free environment of the digestive tract. The botulism bacteria form a poison that is absorbed into the body through the intestinal lining. The consequences of this food poisoning, known as "infant botulism", include paralysis of the breathing and swallowing muscles, which can lead to death.
During the first year of life, the intestinal flora is still in the development stage. That is why it is particularly easy for pathogenic germs such as clostridia to settle and exert harmful effects.
For these reasons, honey in its pure, unprocessed form should not be given to infants during the first twelve months of life. Thanks to their more stable intestinal flora, older children and adults do not need to be afraid of germs in untreated honey.
Industrially produced complementary foods, e.g. porridge, sometimes contain honey, but this has been processed, i.e. heated to over 100-120 ° C. The botulism bacteria and spores do not survive these temperatures. So there is nothing to worry about here.
- Do NAUI tests expire after a certain point
- Women beat their husbands too
- How is tungsten made
- What is YNES Mexia famous for
- Which book is best for the bootloader
- How does the algorithm for predicting the personality of faceptions work
- How powerful the NRA really is
- Is the Bible the mouthpiece of God
- What role does protein kinase play
- Why are vaccines not given intravenously?
- Why should you use MySQLi Real Escape String
- If 12x 14 26 what is x
- Helps cannabis treat diabetes
- Why is my TV screen flickering
- Why is the sea calm at sunset
- What is the best price for Intalox tags
- Why is IQ more popular than EQ
- How long can a laptop remain unused
- What is the cheapest and best vape
- How do facial steamers work
- How to use google translator online
- What are the benefits of crowdsourcing
- How did Jordan Peterson's videos help you
- What are the uses for peroxybenzoic acid