What should everyone know about pteropods
Marine animals under attack - What we can learn from snails about climate change
Dr. Johannes Schnurr Press and public relations, publications
Daimler and Benz Foundation
The acidification and warming of the world's oceans are threatening companions of global climate change. Since the beginning of industrialization, our oceans have absorbed around half of the anthropogenic carbon dioxide. The effects of ocean acidification can be quantified by studying acid-sensitive marine life. Winged snails are helpful climate indicators.
Since the middle of the last century, the earth has warmed by 0.7 degrees Celsius - even skeptics have now recognized this value. During the same period, the carbon dioxide concentration in our atmosphere rose from 315 to 400 ppm (parts per million). Sea water absorbs about a third of the greenhouse gas and changes its chemical composition, which leads to a lowering of the pH value. This threatens marine organisms such as corals, mussels or pteropods, so-called pteropods.
"The successive acidification not only poses problems for calcifying organisms, but also the entire food chain and thus our ecosystem", explains the biologist Dr. Nina Keul from the Institute for Geosciences at the Christian Albrechts University in Kiel. Funded by the Daimler and Benz Foundation and the Reinhard Frank Foundation, she researches the effects of anthropogenic carbon dioxide and climate change on marine animals.
The pteropods have a delicate limestone shell, which consists of easily soluble aragonite and is sensitive to corrosive water. Keul examines the shells of pteropods made of ocean sediments, they represent a kind of climate archive. This allows carbon dioxide and temperature values from past epochs to be reconstructed and quantified without anthropogenic influences.
Keul's scientific goal is to provide reliable forecasts about the expected climate change and the associated dangers for marine animals. Studies indicate that calcifying organisms such as pteropods will face massive problems when the pH value of the oceans falls further and that species diversity will decrease overall. In order to prevent the dangerous effects of climate change, carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced significantly and anthropogenic warming limited to well below two degrees Celsius.
Postdoctoral fellowship program
The Daimler and Benz Foundation annually awards twelve scholarships of 40,000 euros each for a period of two years. Postdocs, junior professors or leaders of young research groups can use the funds freely - for example to finance scientific assistants or technical equipment, for research trips or to participate in conferences.
Daimler and Benz Foundation
Impetus for knowledge - the Daimler and Benz Foundation is strengthening processes of knowledge generation. Her focus is on promoting young scientists, interdisciplinary collaborations and research projects from all scientific disciplines. The operational and non-profit foundation is one of the largest science-promoting foundations in Germany.
Dr. Johannes Schnurr, +49 176-216 446 92
Patricia Piekenbrock, +49 152-289 093 77
Features of this press release:
Biology, society, sea / climate, animals / land / forest, environment / ecology
Research / knowledge transfer, research projects
- Works a distant relationship
- How big is a yeast organism
- Where is wallpaper made
- What is vape What are its benefits
- Sexual orientation can influence the representation of gender identity
- What is the best strategy for trading football
- How do you know you are real?
- What is a window filler
- Why Avagodro number is 6 022
- Who are Entelos' main competitors
- Which artist sang the song Wild Thoughts
- Why do men find fighting girls attractive?
- When will IPv4 be discontinued, if at all?
- What is the salon appointment reservation system
- What good is it to learn calligraphy?
- How can I prove 567 10
- How many paying customers does TradingView have
- How is the setting of a programmer
- What does MVP mean in football
- What did your father do for you
- How does our body control our thoughts
- How does Japanese sound to Italians
- How many game books were sold
- Cats show affection for their tails
- How to go about sending you messages
- What are some reviews of Spartagen XT
- American girls find Persian accents attractive
- You can swim at the Snoqualmie Falls
- What is Tax Terrorism in India
- Is wine considered a carbohydrate
- Can BMP image increase hosting bandwidth
- What are some of the most expensive cars in Chennai
- What does lethargy mean
- What is polycotton fabric