Will humans destroy self-driving cars
Waymo boss: Robot cars will not crowd out people behind the wheel
John Krafcik, head of Google's sister company Waymo, told the magazine today (March 11, 2020) Auto Motor and Sport: "We will continue to see an incredible number of interesting cars for human drivers in the future, maybe even more than in the past." Autonomous driving, on the other hand, can help with commuting and make the roads safer. And that only three years after Bob Lutz predicted that the autonomous car would destroy the industry.
It takes significantly longer than expected
Krafcik is setting a different tone than what has long been the norm for developers of self-driving cars. They often pointed out that mistakes made by people behind the wheel are responsible for more than 90 percent of fatal accidents and that a widespread transition to autonomous driving will save many lives. However, in recent years it has been found that it is taking significantly longer than initially expected to bring the robot car software to everyday use.
Waymo is considered particularly advanced in the development of the technology and is operating a test robotaxi service in parts of the city of Phoenix, Arizona. The Google sister company also wants to offer its software “Waymo Driver” to car manufacturers. “We are thinking hard about the best way to introduce the Waymo Driver on German roads. I'm personally very motivated to do that, ”Krafcik told auto magazine.
At the same time, he affirmed that his company's robot car software can do without the high-speed 5G radio data transmission, which is often referred to as a prerequisite for autonomous driving. “Waymo doesn't need 5G - or 4G. Everything we need is on board the car, ”said Krafcik. The cars only needed mobile communications for additional services such as fleet monitoring.
(fpi)Read comments (53) Go to the homepage
Everything to do with cars - news and background information from heise Autos twice a week
You can find detailed information on the dispatch procedure and your cancellation options in our data protection declaration.
- Key difference between UI and UX design
- Is it worth waiting for Xiaomi's Mi5
- Can technology be a tool for education?
- Is God an individual soul
- Where can you buy vantablack
- Can psychology become a hard science
- Is IAS a great option
- Would you buy a smart coffee maker
- Who is your favorite conservative YouTuber?
- Do people have a positive influence on the atmosphere?
- Is Colon Hydrotherapy Bad For You?
- What are some diving didactics
- How do I remove traces of marijuana
- Who brought Christianity to Africa
- What does it mean to stand out from the crowd
- Should the authority be delegated or not
- What is withholding payments
- How long have you got your cell phone
- What is a giant molecule
- What is cas9
- Why are dental exams so expensive
- What is emotionless
- Is your father proud of your brother
- Is it necessary to keep parasite friends