What is an FTP host
Transfer files securely step by step with FTP
For web hosting, WordPress hosting, ASP.NET hosting
Find out what FTP is and how you can use it in web hosting.
What is FTP
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and was specially developed for transferring files between computers. A so-called FTP program is required for this.
In web hosting, FTP is usually used for uploading or downloading files to the web space. This means that you can use an FTP program to download the files you need for your website - such as B. HTML files and photos - transferred to the web space.
IONOS Webhosting uses the secure FTP variants SFTP (Linux hosting) and FTPS (Windows hosting) to protect your data from being accessed by third parties. In contrast to standard FTP, with SFTP and FTPS the data is transmitted in encrypted form.
Step 1 - Activate FTP access
To use FTP, you first need an FTP user. With IONOS you have at least one FTP user per hosting contract, the so-called FTP main user. How to activate your FTP access and set up the FTP main user is shown in the article Activating FTP access.
Step 2 - Install the FTP program
Install an FTP program on your computer.
In the following, we will introduce you to two FTP programs with which you can optimally use the services of your FTP access.
- If you have a Linux hostingContract, we recommend the program FileZilla. FileZilla is free and available for Microsoft Windows, Apple MacOS and Linux operating systems.
- If you have a Windows hostingContract, we recommend the program WinSCP. WinSCP is free and available for Microsoft Windows.
Step 3 - Set up the FTP program and transfer files to the web space
Copy files such as B. Photos or Internet pages from your computer to the web space or online storage space in your IONOS hosting package. The following instructions show you how to set up your FTP access in FileZilla or WinSCP and how to transfer files to your web space.
- Our MyWebsite products do not include FTP access. Learn more
- Do you have an IONOS domain or IONOS mail contract or another tariff without FTP access (excluding MyWebsite contracts)? You can switch to a hosting contract at any time to get FTP access.
- Is racism and colorism the same thing?
- What is meant by photochemical reaction
- Who sang Hey Nineteen
- Why are we hiring Filipino virtual assistants
- Why don't people like Tom Brady
- Develops Odisha
- Sherwani is inspired by Persian clothing
- What is Ubers' advertising budget
- What is a complex connection
- What are the levers of
- What is that Google translator is missing
- May fog up underwater
- What are loaders in Android
- What were Akamai's greatest technical achievements?
- Why are social security benefits taxable?
- How do Tamil rockers get films
- How good is Nvidia GTX 960MX
- How does a thermal shock work
- Why is Trump against Muslims
- How does adaptation to climate change take place
- What vertical cognizants are there in Gurgaon
- How can I cut a glass bottle
- Always requires practice in math
- What are the rules for consent